Parkmerced enjoys a beautiful, scenic setting near Lake Merced, the Pacific Ocean and neighboring golf courses. However, much of its existing design is ecologically unsound. Our vision will renew and revitalize the environment in and around Parkmerced.
Since the 1940s, we have learned that how and where we live can impact the environment. With input from a team of experts and the community, we have identified a variety of ways to significantly reduce Parkmerced’s “carbon footprint” and promote a healthier and improved quality of life for our residents and neighbors. A more environmentally sustainable Parkmerced will feature:
- Creating more usable open spaces that incorporate native plants and grasses to reduce water and fertilizer use, better connect Parkmerced to surrounding green spaces and Lake Merced, and address drainage and runoff issues.
- Reducing energy and water use in each home and reusing wastewater to lower utility bills and lessen our impact on the environment and local utilities/infrastructure.
- Using solar and wind power and other renewable energy sources.
- Improving our water use through low-flow fixtures and appliances.
- Providing new programs and improved access to transportation offering people better transportation options without using their cars for every trip.
- Adding trails, reconfiguring spaces and adding trees and vegetation to block wind and increase sunlight to promote comfortable outdoor activity.