Currently, Parkmerced has virtually no on-site retail – no groceries, no cleaners, no shops, so most residents are forced to travel over a mile for basic services and shopping. Poor access to transit means most rely on their cars for such trips.
Our vision is to create a vibrant "social heart" within Parkmerced where all residents will have access to groceries and other neighborhood services within a comfortable walking distance. Small stores and cafes will be located throughout the neighborhood for added convenience. To help support and encourage those who work from home, we will provide onsite business centers and dedicated office space in many new units.
- Grocery store, cafes, deli and restaurants
- Dry cleaners
- Hardware stores
- Branch library, book store
- Preschool/day care or possibly a grade school
- Business center, conferencing/meeting rooms, computers with Internet access and printers
- Nail/hair salon
- Other neighborhood-serving amenities
Proposed recreational and social features
- Community center with community/party rooms
- Art gallery, live music/theater venue
- Fitness center, spa, indoor pool, yoga center, and other features
- Community gardens, dog parks, pet store and pet care services
- Playing fields